The London Silver Vaults (official website http://silvervaultslondon.com/) opened as The Chancery Lane Safe Deposit in 1876. Originally renting out strong rooms to hold household silver, jewellery and documents, it transitioned to housing silver dealers in secure premises a few years later. It is located on Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1QS. One vault was used to store a farthing, with the owner paying over £100 over the years for the vault.
With 1.2 metres (3.9 ft) thick walls lined with steel, the vaults were never broken into.
The building above the vaults was struck directly with a bomb during World War II - however this did not damage the vaults at all, despite the building being destroyed. A new building, Chancery House, was constructed ten years later, and since 1953 it has been in its present format, with shops based underground. All of the shops have been owned for at least 50 years by the same families. It said that it has "the largest single collection of silver for sale in the world", contained within more than forty shops.
In 1957, the same type of vault used in the London Silver Vaults was used as part of U.S. nuclear testing in Nevada. The 37-kiloton nuke tore away steel reinforcement and loosened trim but didn’t bust the vault.
During WWII the bank around the vault was reduced to rubble due to a bomb strike, but the vault itself was undamaged. The vault itself is the very definition of the world “impenetrable.
Addres: THE LONDON SILVER VAULTS
LONDON WC2A 1QS
MON-FRI: 9.00AM - 5.30PM
SAT: 9.00AM - 1.00PM
NB: Entry to building is restricted 15 minutes prior to closing times.