Visa requirements for non-EU/EFTA citizens living in Switzerland - Money Safe Box

Go to content

Main menu:

Visa requirements for non-EU/EFTA citizens living in Switzerland

Open Swiss Bank Account

The Schengen Agreement has an impact on the movement of persons. Holders of the following Swiss residence permits may travel within the Schengen Area* without a visa for stays of up to 90 days:

  • B permit (residence permit)

  • C permit (settlement permit)

  • L permit (short-term stay permit)

  • Ci permit (residence and work permit)

  • Diplomatic ID cards issued by the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA)

  • You must bring your Swiss permit and a valid travel document with you when travelling.

Holders of an F, N or S permit
Holders of an F, N or S permit are not authorised to cross the Swiss border. The State Secretariat for Migration SEM  may exceptionally authorise trips outside of Switzerland and in such cases will issue the necessary travel documents.

*There are currently 26 countries that have signed the Schengen Agreement:
Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Principality of Liechtenstein, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Switzerland.

How do I obtain a visa to enter Switzerland?

Depending on your country of origin, you may require a visa in order to enter Switzerland.

Entry requirements for short-term stays in Switzerland

You plan to travel to Switzerland and would like to know what formalities apply for foreign nationals who wish to stay for a brief period without seeking employment?

For short-term stays in Switzerland of up to 90 days within a 180 day period, you will need to present a valid travel document that is recognised by Switzerland. In some cases, you may also need to obtain a visa. To find out if you need to obtain a visa, see below:

The following links are available for your region or situation:
Information on entry into Switzerland, recognised travel documents and visa requirements by country

Withholding taxes. Tax at source

People from abroad working in Switzerland have tax deducted directly from their income (tax at source). Foreigners who live in Switzerland and have a residence permit (permit C), however, need to declare their income and assets in a standard tax return.

Tax is deducted directly from your salary. Your employer will do this automatically if you are a foreign worker and:

are resident in Switzerland for tax purposes but do not yet have a residence permit (permit C)

are not resident in Switzerland for tax purposes (cross-border commuter, weekly resident, conference speaker, sportsperson, artist etc.) but earn an income here.
If you are a foreign worker resident in Switzerland for tax purposes and your income is more than CHF 120,000, a statutory assessment of your whole income and assets will be carried out.

The tax at source rate differs from canton to canton. You can get more information from the tax office in your canton.

Free MasterCard Debit Card

Back to content | Back to main menu